Valentine’s Day is almost here! It feels like it was just Christmas a minute ago! Where does the time go? Well, since the year is progressing, I wanted to share a few ideas for Valentine’s Day treats.
CHOCOLATE-FILLED BON BONS
One of my favorite holiday cookies is the Chocolate Filled Bon Bon. My mom has been making these since I was a kid. They’re easy to make and are delicious! You can decorate them for any holiday or occasion. I made them at Christmastime and now for Valentine’s Day.
- 1 cup Crisco
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package Brach’s Chocolate Stars (or use Hershey’s Kisses with the points cut off)
- 2 tubes each of red, white and pink gel frosting
- Non-pareil sprinkles in Valentine’s Day colors
Cream the Crisco and confectioner’s sugar together. Then blend in the vanilla extract. Blend in the flour and salt and mix until blended. You might want to mix the ingredients together with your hands to form the dough. Measure out two teaspoons of dough at a time. Wrap around each chocolate star. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet, or a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, at 375 degrees fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes. Cool the cookies briefly on the cookie sheet. Then, transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Decorate with the gel frosting (I usually do hearts and bows for Valentine’s Day). Top frosting with non-pareils.
This recipe includes Brach’s Chocolate Stars. I could not find these anywhere for the longest time, but finally found them at Target this past holiday season. In recent years, before I found the chocolate stars again, I just substituted Hershey’s Kisses and cut the points off to fit into the dough.
BETTY CROCKER VALENTINE CHEX MIX
I love Chex Mix! So, I was excited to find this recipe. This is a sweeter version of traditional Chex Mix, using M&M’s and sprinkles.
- 4 1/2 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1/2 cup white vanilla baking chips
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup red, white & pink Plain M&M’s
- 2 tablespoons sprinkles in Valentine colors
Visit Betty Crocker’s website here for the full recipe.
BETTY CROCKER PEANUT BUTTER M&M’s COOKIE PIE
This is similar to the Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie M&M’s Bars that I posted about at Christmastime. This recipe includes Peanut Butter M&M’s and Reese’s Peanut Butter Hearts.
- 1 package Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 cup red, white & pink Plain M&M’s
- 1/2 cup red, white & pink Peanut Butter M&M’s
- 8 Reese’s Peanut Butter Hearts, unwrapped
Find the full recipe here on Betty Crocker’s website.
Let me know in the comments section what your favorite Valentine’s Day treat is!